I don’t think it is surprising why I start my healthy recipes with Chocolate spread or so called Nutella.. It is very simple, I love it, and to prove to you that you can still indulge with the food you love even when you eat clean. It is a heartbreaker when I see my families children spoon it and I can’t stop them, because I can hardly stop myself… This easy homemade recipe is a healthy treat for all the families who are trying to boycott refined sugar and eat clean food. Try it at home. Trust me it tastes better than anything on the shelves. I have tried the recipe before with Maple syrup, and with honey it always came out hard and the oil separates from the mix. In this recipe I did avoid adding any liquid to have a better paste.
– 3 cups of hazelnuts
– 3Tsp of hazelnut oil
– 3 Tsp of natural vanilla extract – A pinch of Himalayan salt
– 96g sugar free, dairy free 90% dark chocolate, or 3/4 cup of organic cocoa powder (I used the chocolate in this recipe).
– 3/4 cups of coconut sugar
- Heat the oven to 150c and spread the hazelnuts on a baking try.
- Roast hazelnuts for 8 minutes, to warm up the natural oils and loosen the skins. Allow them to cool, then rub them in your hands or with a kitchen towel to help remove the skins. The more you remove skin, the creamier it gets.
- Place the hazelnuts and hazelnut oil in the food processor and blend, on high speed, 2-4 minutes then blend on low for 8-10 minutes, until it gets buttery.
- At the same time melt the chocolate in a double boiler and add to the creamy hazelnut, or you just add the cocoa powder instead. In this recipe i’m using half cocoa powder and half dark chocolate (halved the quantities recommended above).
- Add coconut sugar, salt and the vanilla to the hazelnuts.
- I suggest you add the sugar gradually. You start with the coconut sugar, mix, and taste. Beware, the more sugar you add the stiffer Chocolate mix gets.
- Continue blending until the sugar is completely dissolved, until you reach the desired smoothness required.
- Last thing, hell, dig in!